Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th

Hi,

I'm really tired, so this message will be a mess, but I want to write some stuff down before I forget about it.

Today has been a really busy day, but I enjoyed it a lot. It was my first time meeting 써니 누나 and afterwards Daniel형 (forget the korean name again, sorry), her husband. She lives in the Samsung area in Seoul (It's not filled with Samsung buildings, it's just the name of the area). My first trip on the subway longer than 1 hour was pretty normal. Everybody was either doing their own thing or gossiping about people getting on the subway (mostly by older women). The seats are facing each other, so I guess the gossiping is not a weird thing. The only thing that was different was that when someone offers their seat to an older person, he doesn't say 'you can sit there', but they just stand up and walk away like they didn't feel like sitting anymore, but go stand somewhere at the end of the wagon (This was only 1 time, so I can't generalize this). Ow and they actually give money to the blind.

Meeting people you have never met is always weird since you don't know you're talking to the right person, but as I am one of the few foreign people around, I guess it can't fail when they start talking to me. I still hadn't eaten (It was 2 pm at the time). I was really sleepy too. I still didn't have any pillow or sheets by then and no cellphone to wake me up, since the battery died and no way to recharge it. We went to some bibimbab place, again really cheap and with a lot of side dishes and free water (how can they eat all this, really...). At first I thought it to be a bit weird since she is some years older than me (7 years older), but it all worked out really well, we got along well, so no problem. She had taught me so much about korea, that I couldn't possibly remember it all.

We went to the kimchi museum (Yes, this is actually a museum about food), which was really interesting. After that we walked through the shopping center above the museum, but as it was pretty crowded and the sun was shining outside, we went outside. Yes, the sun was finally shining!! We went to this buddhistic temple, which was as expected. A lot of people praying for good luck (Apparently you should bow 108 times... But most people don't really do them all. Would you?), eating (Is there a place in Korea where there is no food??), you had to take your shoes off, etc.. Walking around the temple it hit me that we were just a street away from the busy, noisy, filthy, warm, ... big street with 4 lanes at each side, but it was really quiet, you could really enjoy beautiful nature. I think there was a path leading inside the trees, but Sunny's husband arrived, so we couldn't check it out.

I had told her about the things I still needed, so we went to a department store and found everything I needed. Well almost. I was sick of shopping, so I didn't get any fruit or a camera, but I can finally put away my clothes and sleep properly. Yay for me. What do you expect comes next? ;) Yes of course, we went for something to eat ;). We went back to my place with his car and looked for a place to eat. The roads beside the big road were really small. I wouldn't have wanted to drive there. Traffic was really uncontrolled too. As they also have in Lithuania they have this 'It's red, shouldn't you stop? Haha, you're so cute. I only have to turn right, so I don't have to stop for the red light, I can just drive on'-attitude. With a few nearly accidents we arrived. Daniel was really picky about the place we would eat at, who wouldn't if there are like millions <_<, but we eventually found something and it was really nice. I eat something-찌개, which was basically everything in a big wok with side dishes and rice. Ow you cook everything yourself, or it is cooked in front of you. So you don't have to wait long for the meal to be ready. If you get tired of waiting you can always start on the side dishes if you want.

Ow yeah I almost forgot. When we were driving back from the department store to my place, I told them about how I would like to see an ancient Korean house one day, so they reset the GPS to the *insert korean name here* (This traditional Korean house, but a really big one owned by rich people in those days). It was in namsan area. Surprisingly it was free, we didn't have to pay for any entrance fee and inside we had a traditional korean show. Basically like the korean show in Lithuania, but without the maskdance (we might have just missed it though), but we saw a few different fan dances, so that was nice to watch. Same with the housing. It was like I expected, but now I could finally touch it ^^.

Finally we went to a bar. They had Belgian beer (Hoegaarden) and if you bought 4 you got a pencil case for free;), but as they were pretty expensive, we just bought Korean beer. which was not that bad, but not that great either. Ow did I forgot to mention that we ordered some food with it? (They almost looked at me weird for saying that I didn't need any). We had a great talk, I really loved both of them. I hope to see them again one of these days. I learned a lot about korean culture and a lot of things they said confirmed what I always thought about korea. But you can't rely on what only a few people say, because even they sometimes argues about stuff they told me, saying it wasn't true. Yes they were quite the cute couple, I loved spending time with them.

Too bad I had to go home early because of my school tomorrow.
So this is me signing off. Hope you're not bored yet. I know i'm not and starting tomorrow I will be meeting a lot more people, so it'll probably become even more tiring.

1 comment:

  1. I applaud you for the fact you're able to write an entry daily. *bows*

    haha. Beer and Korea. I remember someone saying that when you order drinks in any place you're bound to order food too as well, because the bars don't make much from drinks and most of their money come from food...

    Anyways. Off to read the next entry. I'm so jealous of you. But in a good way ^.^

    ReplyDelete